London, England: Despite the fact that our oceans cover 71% of the Earth’s surface and contain around 97% of the world’s water, the lack of basic knowledge British adults have about them and the marine life they sustain is whopping, according to a poll conducted recently by SEA LIFE London Aquarium in the run up to World Oceans Day on June 8.
•15% think that ‘fishfinger fish’ can be found in our oceans
•One in 10 identified ‘the Gruffalo’ as a species of shark – perhaps confused by the kid’s storytime monster’s ‘terrible teeth in terrible jaws’
•Nearly one in 10 believe mermaids are real and can be found in the ocean
•17% believe a ‘Man-of-Steel’ jellyfish-like creature lurks in the ocean depths – possibly with ‘superman’ powers…
•One in five did not know that the ‘Pacific’ is an ocean; only two thirds of people correctly stated that there are five oceans in the world – one in five think there are eight and one in 10 that there are 15
•One in five got in a pickle about sea cucumbers – believing that ‘sea gherkins’ could be found in oceans!
The attraction is now on a mission to up our knowledge of the world’s oceans and the vital role they play on our planet. During June in the run up to World Oceans Day on June 8 and continuing until the end of the month guests can follow an educational and fun fact-finding trail, Mission: Ocean Discovery, throughout the attraction which has been created by the aquarium’s expert team. Visitors will be able to learn about these diverse and magnificent underwater habitats, the fascinating array of creatures (‘fishfingers’ and ‘Gruffalos’ excluded) inhabiting them, and how all humans, and billions of plants and animals, depend on our oceans for survival.
The SEA LIFE London Aquarium, situated on London’s South Bank, is open every day for visitors to enjoy more than 6,000 animals PLUS additional experiences including Behind the Scenes Tours, VIP Shark Feeding and Snorkelling with Sharks. For opening times, feeding times, prices and more, see http://www.visitsealife.com/london/
BOOKING AND GETTING THERE
• Guests will be required to book in to a 15 minute timeslot prior to, or upon arrival, to ensure an even better experience at the attraction
• Guests are advised to check website to pre-book tickets before visiting
• Best prices online at www.visitsealife.com/london
• Open seven days a week from 10am on weekdays, and 9am on weekends, with last entry at 6pm
• Address: County Hall, Riverside Building, Westminster Bridge Rd, London SE1 7PB
• Transport: Closest tube – Westminster
• Prices start from £19.50 per adult and £14.50 per child for attraction tickets when you book online in advance
The poll was conducted in April 2016 amongst 100 adults in the UK by SEA LIFE London Aquarium to launch its Mission: Ocean Discovery event in June 2016.
AmusementParks News Bureau: email@example.com